Venha conhecer. Consulte as condições através dos nossos contatos.

Venha conhecer. Consulte as condições através dos nossos contatos.

Venha conhecer. Consulte as condições através dos nossos contatos.

Vila "Medieval" de Óbidos

For its great location this land were always inhabited, that is confirmed because of the lower paleolithic station Outeiro da Assenta. Here it was formed a Celtiberian castro, faced to west. It's known that the Phoenicians traded here, and today with more properties than the Romans, they settled here, probably, the south tower of the Torch, has had its origin in a watchtower tower of Roman construction, as an advanced post of the Eburobrittium city, a large urban metropolis that was found in a archaeological work phase.

On 11 January 1148, the first king of Portugal, D.Afonso Henriques, took Óbidos from the Arabs, after the siege of the previous November.

In 1513, the administrative reform of King D.Manuel I gave Óbidos a new Foral, that time was extremely intense in urban requalification.

 

The main monuments and places of the village are: Porta da Vila, Igreja de São Pedro, Igreja da Misericórdia, Praça de Sta. Maria, Igreja de Santa Maria, Rua Direita, Castelo, Jogo da Bola, among others...

 

In addition to the walls, beautiful streets, traditional houses, and wonderful churches, Óbidos has a set of places where you can admire the rich heritage of the village, such as: Museu Municipal de Óbidos,  Museu Paroquial São João Baptista, Museu Abílio de Mattos e Silva, Casa do Arco, Galeria Ogiva, Galeria do Pelourinho and Centro de Design de Interiores Maria José Salavisa.

Obidos belonged to the defensive pentagon (the five castles), in the center of the kingdom, created by the Templars.

With the offer of Óbidos as a wedding gift to Isabel, D. Dinis wife, the village was owned by the House of Queens, and it was only abolished in 1834.

Most of Portugal queens have passed through Óbidos and they left large benefits. Queen Catherine ordered the construction of the aqueduct and fountains.

The "Fortress Natural Art", as some historians of the seventeenth century called Óbidos, had an important military role during the medieval period. Fences and battlements, towers and turrets, doors and shutters, make Óbidos a reference of military architecture.

 

Óbidos, the "Medieval Village", is also an urban space of Renaissance and Baroque periods. Circulating around the village and knowing its history, you will realize how was the evolution and transformation of its inhabitants and the consequent reflection on the urban environment.

 

Óbidos is a lesson about the tile in Portugal. A panel of cultures which has absorbed all national and international innovations that have made the tile, the strongest artistic expression in Portugal. Óbidos allows to draw a historical line from the Hispano-Moorish tiles until textiles standards of the seventeenth century, to the pioneer blue and white and to the great Johannine compositions.

There is much more to see. Have your seat with us.

 

© 2015 Antiga Portugueza Unipessoal, Lda - All rights reserved. - RNAAT Nº 144/2014 - Privacy and Cookie Policy.

60,00 €

47,50 €

40,00 €

37,50 €

Come and see this beautiful village in its medieval wall which maintains the architectural traces of a typical portuguese house. Exclusive transport and private guide in english, portuguese and spanish. (Duration: Approximately 3 hours)

87,50 €